Ways to Rise
ONE BILLION RISING is designed to show the world our collective strength, our numbers, our solidarity across borders. On 14 February 2013, V-Day activists across the world will stop what they normally do, walk out, strike, and dance.
The following are ideas & examples of what to include in your RISING. Have another idea you want to share? Send it to email@example.com .
- Women Leaders -Engage female politicians, entrepreneurs, and other powerful women in your community to support and participate in the strike.
- Violence Against Women Activists -Invite every organization working to end violence against women in your city.
- Men -V-Men are essential to ending the violence. Invite all of the men in your life to strike by your side.
- Motivators -Ask your most energetic friends or family members to take charge of encouraging participants who may feel shy about dancing.
- Dancers -Consider including professional dancers to perform, inspire the crowds, and/or teach dance moves.
- Musicians -A live band is a great way to jazz up a crowd. Look into musicians with instruments that travel, so they can play alongside you if your strike is mobile.
- Speakers & Readers -Decide if you want speeches and readings at your event. Invite women to speak out about their experiences of violence, or representatives from women’s organizations to talk about the issue locally.
- Everyone You Know -Use these letter templates to engage your friends and colleagues to participate. (coming soon)
- Dance Strike -Lead a crowd of people to transform a public space into a dance party. March through your community to mobilize the strike, or choose one location to gather and dance.
- Concert -If you want live music to dance to, consider the band’s sound needs and choose a locale with access to a sound system.
- Flash mob -In the midst of a free-style dance celebration, you may want to use a flash mob: a group of people who arrive prepared to perform a choreographed dance to inspire onlookers to join the strike.
- V-Day Performance -Consider beginning or ending your Rising with a production of "The Vagina Monologues" or another artistic event. Sign-up to hold a V-Day event here.
- Outdoor -If you plan to strike outdoors, make sure there is some way to play music, whether it’s created by speakers, a boombox, or live instruments. If you want to localize the strike in one location, find out in advance if you need a permit to use the space.
- Indoor -In colder areas of the world, consider holding the dance inside. However, you should choose an indoor location with heavy foot traffic, such as a mall, college cafeteria during lunch, train station, airport, department store, etc. Again, you may need special permission to use an indoor space, so if you don’t obtain permission, make sure you have a back-up location arranged in case you get kicked out.
At V-Day, we recognize that not everyone can leave their homes, work, or classes; not everyone is safe to speak out and rise up. Therefore we’ve compiled a list of other ways that you can RISE, even if you can't take to the streets that day. This movement and day of action belongs to everyone, revolution can happen anywhere, join us:
- Change your Facebook profile picture to the ONE BILLION RISING logo on 14 February 2013.
- Organize an online social gathering in your virtual or gaming community.
- Tape yourself dancing and send in the video.
- Talk to everyone you know about ONE BILLION RISING, and the 1 in 3 statistic; blog, post articles about the strike, engage in dialogue with your coworkers, friends, and family about ways to address Violence Against Women in your community.
- In schools: If you are an educator, conduct a lesson about the lives of girls around the world. If you are a student, suggest to your teacher in the weeks leading up to ONE BILLION RISING that she or he integrate the topic into that day's curriculum. Consider using the V-Girls' curriculum.
- Send a letter to your local lawmakers demanding that they prioritize legislation that protects women and girls from violence.
- In the weeks before and on the morning of 14 February 2013, distribute ONE BILLION RISING posters and stickers around your neighborhood, city, college campus.